Gotta Smile!

Gotta Smile!

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Home Sweet Home!

July 20 - August 14, 2013

We left Jacksonville on June 11th and returned on August 11 -- exactly 2 months of travel and recuperation.  I don't think we could have landed in a better place than our daughter and son-in-law's home for all that we had to take care of.  They were very generous to put up with us for that long and even hosted some of our friends that stopped in for overnight visits.  But, with all of that said -- there really is no place like home.  We love to be surrounded by our own stuff and live on our own schedule. Let's face it!  No matter how grand or how humble there just isn't any place better than our own nest.  

"Thanks for giving me back my sea legs!"
 On August 5th I met with Dr. Wright, my surgeon.  He was very pleased with my progress and actually complemented me on my hard work.  Since he is a sports doctor, all of his examination rooms' walls are covered with photos of famous athletes that he has treated.  I presented him with an autographed picture of Brian and me and told him that he needed a common person on his walls.  He didn't laugh, but I did get a smile out of him and he said he'd get a frame to hang it.   I'm not expecting to see it on the wall.  I just wanted to get a little chuckle out of him.  

A morning at Grant's Farm
Our plan had been to head back to Florida as soon as I got the doctor's blessing.  However, our son, Steve, and his family came to St Louis on the 5th for a few days.  A great reason to postpone our departure.  It was heavenly to have most of the family together.  Unfortunately, Ian was scheduled to fly and couldn't change his schedule.  The four grandchildren are between 7 and 4.  Close enough in age to enjoy each other  and young enough to cause constant chaos!  

Two months in the hot Florida sun had left Gotta Smile looking a bit shabby.  The dust mixed with rain was baked on by daily temperatures in the  90's.  Brian tackled it first with soap and water, but then got out the power washer to add a little more muscle.  There are still areas that will need polish to get the grime off.  Luckily the interior just needed a little dusting and vacuuming to get it back in shape.  We always bring back more stuff.  My biggest challenge was finding where to put the new stuff and what stuff to get rid of.  Neither Brian or I like to live with clutter so a lot of organization is required.   

Gotta smile -- we're lovin the ride!


No comments:

Post a Comment