Gotta Smile!

Gotta Smile!

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

New York, NY

August 3 - 7, 2014
Love those buses!


We left Detroit on Sunday the 3rd of August and drove to New Jersey.  Our daughter and her two children flew into LaGuardia at noon on Monday and met us at the hotel ready to begin sightseeing.  Thank God for the double decker sightseeing buses!  Two day passes for everyone helped get us around along with cabs, the subway and miles of walking!  We were totally exhausted every day, but  I think we saw everything on the kids' must see list plus a big surprise!

Christopher is reading a series of books
about Greek mythology.  We stumbled
onto this display of Greek gods.  He loved
explaining who they were.
Any building in NYC that is over 5 stories tall;
must have a water tower on it's roof.

















The Flat Iron building -- one of my favorites.





Lunch at the famous hot dog restaurant, Bark.















The flagship Lego store


Equal time at the American Girl store
On top of the Empire State Building

Looking at the Chrysler Building from
the top of the Empire State Building.



















The Statue of Liberty from the Stanton Island Ferry


A few minutes to relax on the ferry.


















Ground Zero


Catching the subway in Grand Central Station















We ran up the stairs to Grant's Tomb
at 4:55.  It closed at 5.  This was a must
see for Christopher.  Luckily we made it!
For a full year I have been talking about going to the Today Show, when we visit NYC. I had a plan that included signs and pirate masks.  Thursday mornings the show does a makeover segment and they choose two women from the audience to participate.  I wanted to be one of those women!  We got up at 5:30 and were walking to Rockefeller Center by 6:15.  There was already a large crowd when we arrived.  I assembled our group with the kids holding signs.  "My Grandma and Grandpa live on a boat.  I think they are pirates!" "My Grandma needs a makeover. Please remove her mustache!"  Brian and I put on our pirate masks.  Obviously, I have no pride and will do anything to make the cut.  As the show representatives were looking around the audience, I began wildly waving my arms, pointing to our masks and the signs.  When they came over, they said "this one needs to be on -- no one has ever done this before!"  We made the cut!  We would all be on TV!  For the next three hours I was treated like a celebrity:  wardrobe, hair and makeup.  Because I knew I would be self-conscious walking out of the stage, I decided to ham it up: strutting out and waving both arms like I just won an election.  When I got out there, I saw the family all wearing masks.  Standing next to Hoda and Kathy Lee I waited for their reaction to my new look when the masks were removed.  Brian's response was fabulous!  Then it was time for me to look in the mirror and see what they had done.  I exclaimed, "I look like my high school photo".  They worked a miracle -- they made a silk purse from a sow's ear.  I looked 20 years younger.  Unfortunately, my worker bees did not agree to live with me for the rest of my life so I could look that good every day.  It was a great experience for all of us.  One we will never forget -- mostly because I replay the segment every day.  The crew that put me together were exceptionally nice and supportive.  I'm so glad that I didn't chicken out at the last minute (I thought about it).  This is my year to 'face my fears'!  The class reunion was the first fear and this was the second.  I may have to continue with this theme for the rest of my days.  It's working out really well!                   

Before.....
After




















Producer with my handlers
Hair and makeup

Gotta smile -- we're lovin the ride!
Time for the reveal..... If you would like to watch the segment, here's the clip. http://www.today.com/style/makeover-afters-grandma-birthday-girl-get-hot-new-looks-1D80024918


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jackie, Hope you don't mind that Didi sent me your blog address and the link to your Today show experience. What a day you had and what a thrill for the rest of the family too. Now I am hooked on your fabulous blog and plan to go back and start at the beginning to revel in your adventures.
    Wishing you and Brian safe travels and I hope we will meet up again one day, Debbie and David Brumell

    ReplyDelete