Gotta Smile!

Gotta Smile!

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Crew Repair

June 21 - 30, 2013
 
When we think about living on a boat, we usually think about the ongoing maintenance of the boat.  But, we also have to keep the captain and crew in good repair.  This is the summer of my repair!  
 
On June 21st we were on our way to Barnes Jewish Hospital at 6:30 AM.  I was thrilled to be one of Dr. Wright's first surgeries of the day.  Everything went well and by noon I was in recovery with two new knees.  The nurses and aids in the orthopedic department were the most upbeat I have ever encountered in a medical facility.  And, they had an endless supply of medications to take away even the slightest twinge of pain.  Brian and Jennifer came for visits at alternate times.  I would try to construct a sentence only to fall asleep after a word or two.  When I woke up, I was irritated that Brian was reading his iPad.  I didn't realize how long he had been patiently waiting for me to resurface from my drug induced break.  No good deed goes unpunished. 
 
Dr. Rick Wright was my surgeon. He is a sport's doctor and orthopedic surgeon. His office walls are covered with photos of the different teams and players that he works with.  As he entered the exam room for our first meeting, I greeted him by saying "You may not be the right doctor for me."  He gave me a look that said "Lady, what is wrong with you?"  I pointed to the walls of sports figures and informed him that I'm not an athlete.  No smile -- not amused -- he's a surgeon.  As the exam ended, I asked if I would run like a gazelle when this was over.  He said "probably like an elephant".  I decided that meant graceful -- not fat and lumbering!  In spite of our first meeting, he did an excellent job of installing my knees.  I guess he doesn't hold a grudge!  
 
Surgery Friday morning -- sent home Sunday morning.  A nurse comes to the house to check on me twice a week and a physical therapist comes three times.  They have both declared that I am doing exceptionally well.  I asked if this is their pep talk, but they both assured me I'm way ahead on the recuperation curve.  Since I have no one to compare things with, I have to assume that I'm a star!!!!  
 
Welcome to my world!
Massaging, chilling and flexing at the same time.
You know, nothing is ever what you think it will be.  The pain is a fraction of what I anticipated.  However, I'm still taking pain pills.  My knees are straight and beautiful -- even though each incision has 50+ staples holding it together.  I can walk, stand up and sit quite gracefully.  I'm soooooo glad that I did both knees at the same time. No regrets on that decision.  The worse part of the ordeal is being stuck inside for so many days. I never even anticipated this situation. I'm supposed to be hooked up to three machines for endless hours:  calf massager (23 hours/day), knee coolers (20 minutes every couple of hours) and a flexing machine (8 hours/day).    Besides that routine, I have physical therapy exercises that I do three times a day!  I guess it is all paying off.  I just pray that everything continues to progress.  
Still swollen and a rainbow of colors, but beautiful
in my eyes.  No longer knock kneed......

 
Meanwhile, Brian is the super star through all of this.  He has been taking care of me, managing the machines, cooking the meals, and keeping things cleaned up.  Plus, our daughter and son-in-law are both out of town for four days so he is taking care of JAC and Christopher -- 4 & 7.  He may have to go on total bed rest before this is over.    

A special thank you to Jennifer and Ian who insisted that we stay with them.  To Christopher and JAC for entertaining me. And, to all of our friends that have called, texted, sent cards and emails.  Wow, life is good!  

Gotta smile -- we're lovin the ride!
 

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you still Gotta Smile. Hang in there it will all be worth it. Back on the road to recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I'm really encouraged by you posting your Knock-Kneed surgery. and I'm also Knock-Kneed it's really ruining my life please give me some information Where you had the surgery?
    Does insurance cover knock kneed surgery?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had knock knees because I have rheumatoid arthritis and all of the cartilage was gone in both knees. I had my surgery at Barnes Jewish in St Louis, MO. Insurance did cover a large portion of it. It would depend on what the condition of your knees is and your insurance.

    ReplyDelete